Mobile Site

« Home | <$BlogPreviousItemTitle$> » 

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 

Anchored in God
The Long War

still sicker than a dog...


This isn't especially profound. This is not the heights of the Westminster Standards. Nor is this revolutionary (by any means!). But for what ever reason, I felt that it was very reassuring, and very helpful. I think there is a good chance this has more to do with the Holy Spirit's actions on my own heart as I read it. Nevertheless, maybe God would use this to encourage you as well. Though this is dealing with sexual lust, all lusts apply.

The following is a reader's response to the book "Sex is Not the Problem (Lust is)"...

Josh,

Your book is a great blessing to me. I've struggled with lust all my lifeā€”even before my preteen years and even into my marriage of almost eight years.

I had already started making some of the changes you and other authors mentioned before ever reading them. That felt like confirmation of some sort. Yet, something still wasn't right. But when I reached the end of your book, I found help with one issue that I totally missed altogether. The "lust" problem isn't really about lust in the end. The problem of sin points back to our closeness with God and our realization of Christ's love for us through the cross.

The one change I hadn't made was establishing consistency with enjoying God's presence. I haven't made that a priority in my life. That, perhaps, is the true sin that I've committed all along. Since reading your book, I've noticed that when I do stay in God's presence with worship, study, and prayer, my problems with lust aren't so tough. But, when I become negligent and inconsistent, I have no strength. My willpower crumbles and sometimes I don't even want to call to God for help!

It's not about do's and don'ts, it's not about willpower and self-righteousness. But, this is about giving in to His will with His help and power. It's about falling in love with Him and then falling in love with His ways as a result. Then, we live out His ways and experience the true joys of life. But, Satan's continual lie is that sin would give us better than what God promised without the wait or obedience.

You helped me see that. Somehow, that makes the struggle worthwhile and winnable. Along with making a commitment to guarding myself against any hint of impurity, I'm making a new commitment to anchor my hope in God. I'll do this by sowing seeds into a deeper relationship with Him.

Thanks so much for your invaluable help,

D.

Trackback

Labels:

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it. :-)

That is great to hear, thank you for reading!

Post a Comment
|

Transplanted from the artic blight of Minnesota to the sunny paradise of SoCal, I am attending school and learning to say "dude." I like to think of myself as equal parts surf rash, Batman, heavy metal, Levinas, poetic license, and reformational. Other than creating blund blogs, I enjoy reading, sporting, and socializing with serious and funny people.
My profile



Web Blog

About

Email:

FAQ - Author|Site
Upcoming Events |30 Boxes|
blund Frappr Places
Looking for Poem|Eliot information?

Thunder Sites

Thunder Mobile
Thunder Photo Album
Thunder Media
Thunder Frappr Map
Thunder Directory



Popular and Favorite Posts
Liturgical Bingo: BBC
Updated Video Roundup
Levinas and the Inner Demons

Categories

under construction

Recent Posts



How does Rowling and the "Harry Potter" series stack up against Tolkien and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy?
Rowling is the new dreamweaver. She is reigniting literature and fantasy as we know it.
Tolkien is the undisputed favorite. We have not yet seen a match for his philogistic skill.
This is apples and oranges. You might as well compare ping pong with Halo. Two different animals.
Rowling wins, but only by one quidditch goal.
Tolkien still stands, but only barely.
  
pollcode.com free polls






Firefox 2